La Jolla Woman’s Club Wedding FAQ Sheet
1. What is the capacity of La Jolla Woman’s Club?
The main ballroom can seat up to 120 guests with room for a dance floor. The adjacent south parlor adds seating for another 50 guests and the north parlor adds seating for another 70 guests. Maximum capacity including both parlors is 220.
2. Can I have my ceremony at the Club and is there an extra charge for this?
The Club has two beautiful ceremony gardens and there is no additional charge for ceremony.
3. Can I have a buffet at the club?
The north parlor is tiled, adjacent to the kitchen and is perfect for stations or buffet. The covered veranda is also an option for buffet or stations.
4. Where does my DJ or band set-up?
The ballroom has its own raised built-in stage with power that is perfect for a DJ or band.
5. Who is allowed to cater at the club?
The Club has a preferred list of caterers who all provide full service catering and are highly skilled at working at the Club. The Club may also approve of other full service off-list caterers with payment of an additional fee of $300 or 10% of the catering bill, whichever is higher. All caterers must be full service caterers who agree to follow the club rules, with a catering license issued by the Department of Environmental Health, a business license, provide proof of workman’s comp insurance, and have a minimum of one million dollars in liability insurance and list the club as additional insured.
6. Who is allowed to pour alcohol at the club and is red wine allowed?
The Club has a required beverage company: Bar Works, and they handle all beverage service at the LJWC. They have a liquor license and liability insurance and their bartenders are trained and certified with Serve Safe. You may purchase your own alcohol and have Bar Works serve it. They can help you determine quantities needed and even help with the purchase of the alcohol and delivery using their own volume purchasing. Red wine is permitted and is subject to a modest cleaning fee if red wine is spilled on the carpet.
7. As the client, are we required to have liability insurance? If so, where do I buy it? Yes, a minimum of one million dollars listing the Club as additional insured. There is a company that provides liability insurance for weddings and insures all aspects of your wedding, you can contact them at www.wedsafe.com
8. Are my vendors required to have liability insurance?
Yes, all preferred vendors keep their insurance on file with the Club on an annual basis.
9. Do you require security for events?
For weddings of 150 or more guests. Security firms such as Elite Show Services can provide this service.
10. Can I have my wedding rehearsal at the club?
We schedule rehearsals outdoors one month prior to the wedding at a mutually agreed upon time. This is complimentary.
11. What are the rules about set-up and drop-off of decor?
Load-in is scheduled for two hours prior to the event. Unfortunately drop off the day before is not possible due to other events being held at the Club.
12. How late can our reception go?
Contract time must end by 10pm with music, bar and food service ending ½ hour before the end of the contract time. This requirement is to meet the City of San Diego Noise Ordinance. Most wedding contracts are from 5 to 10pm although we can begin earlier.
Most of our clients pre-select a lounge in the Prospect district for an after party for those who would like to continue to party.
13. Are we allowed to have bird seed or confetti? What about candles?
No bird seed, bubbles, fake snow, confetti, glitter, paper streamers, rice, silly string, sparklers, red flower petals or other damaging materials. Pink or white petals are allowed at the ceremony site, but must be cleaned up before the end of the event.
LED’s are allowed, no votive candles or tea lights.
14. Do I have to rent dinner tables & chairs?
We have 22 complimentary 60” round dinner tables at no charge, we also offer (4) 6Ft tables, (4) 24″ belly bars and (4) 36″cocktail tables. We also have some pieces of wicker that may be used indoors and are suitable for sweetheart table, cake tables and buffet tables. There is no charge for these tables, we ask only that you have your caterer cover them with linens. The club does not provide chairs, we can recommend several sources of inexpensive chairs.
15. I want to secure my date, what is the next step?
To go to contract to secure your date we require 50% down with the balance due 60 days before the wedding. The total amount of the contract is the event fee plus $500 refundable security deposit – the deposit is half of total contract. If you are getting close, ask for a sample contract to review in advance of signing your own contract. We accept personal checks, Visa, Mastercard, American Express and Discover.